Sunday, March 29, 2009

Final Thoughts

Before the month ends and we move on to another film, I'd like to thank Chris for allowing me to choose this month's selection. Thanks also to Marshall for his comments and thoughts and to the few others who joined in. Although there wasn't a lot of discussion, I enjoyed what there was and I benefited from trying to articulate my thoughts on this film and on Hong in general. As many could probably tell, I'd like to write more on Hong in the future, in article or even book (especially if my Korean improves), and this experience was very useful in that regard. I hope others found the film and the discussion of some interest, or that perhaps they will track down this film or others by Hong in the future. I certainly think the films are worth the effort. And by all means, of course, I'd be happy to hear from late comers before the month is over or even in the coming months as replies to any of my Hong blog postings.

Also, in Hong news, he is currently in post-production on his latest film, which should be out later this year. Also, he has completed a short film which will premiere at the Jeonju film festival in Korea (April 30-May 8). It is part of a three film "Jeonju Digital Project" in which the festival invites three directors to make a digital short. Further details are available here (go to the JIFF news section and click on "Jeonju Digital Project 2009").

2 comments:

Marshall Deutelbaum said...

Marc,

I've enjoyed the chance this month to share thoughts about "Woman is the Future of Man," Hong's other films, and criticism in general. I look forward to reading your ideas in the future and hope we will stay in touch.

weepingsam said...

Indeed - thank you - this was a very good film to talk about, and the discussion was interesting. I find the formal questions raised by films like this fascinating - I've been prodding an idea about comparisons of film and poetry, and this conversation has been feeding into it - the way Hong develops the story through rhythms, repetitions and rhymes and echoes... I expect I'll return to the subject over time - I've been terribly lazy about posting and whatnot this year...

Anyway - it's always a treat to hear what people say about Hong - he's one of the most impressive directors working these days. I am dying to see Night and Day - none of his films have gotten a proper release around here though he is fairly well represented on DVD, so I can hope...